Sunday 12 August 2007

Our garden

Deep purple clematis entwine with japonica, scented honeysuckle and ivy. Dark green leaves edged with gold or tinged with purple form the dense foliage of our vertical garden. A climbing yellow rose, clings to the fence spreading its fragrance all summer long.

It started life as a Japanese garden, minimal, square, no grass, flagged, with two potted Acers, pebbles, a water feature and a statue of the Buddha. But I can’t return from a garden centre without a boot load of plants, which have grown to overflow the pebbles with flowering shrubs, and enclose the Buddha in a dark leafy grotto.

Just now, it's at its peak. Pink and gold begonias, trailing geraniums, and petunias, purple and yellow, tumble from pots on the flagged patio. Enormous lilies, three foot tall, demand your attention. The lilac flowering stalks of a giant hoster blend with the purples of the clematis.

On the rare occasion that it's warm and dry enough to sit outside in the evening, listening to the gentle lapping of the waterfall, night scented stock drenches the air with its perfume.

I love our garden. It’s small, but everyone who comes to our house comments on its beauty.

Tending it is therapy.

Copyright © 2007 Barbara Attwood

2 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I agree. I'm afraid my luck with clematis is not so great as lovely as they are. I have to find the right spot, but along our property chainlink in the back I have beautiful morning glories, the big blue belled variety, honeysuckle and a grapevine. Our soil is so poor along the house I planted ivy for several years running and I love it-it is thick and lush now.

Between our garage and fence in the back I made a path from creek stones leading to a bench and our neighbors large bushes overhang the space like an arbor. There is a bird feeder there and our two cats watch from a kitchen window as the birds take seeds and a bath on the edge of our small pool. One cries so pitifully I can't help refilling the seeds just to chuckle at him when the bird come.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely description. Is it all the rain that makes it grow?
Jan

Site Meter